Breaking News
  • January 16Skate Station - Friday, 3/8 - 7:30!
  • December 6Kona Ice 2/16
The Student News Site of Frank H. Peterson Academies

The Talon

The Talon

The Talon

SkillsUSA State Competitions Results

Florida hosted their SkillsUSA State Competition last week, April 7th to the 10th. Competitions were held at the Hyatt Hotel in Downtown Jacksonville over the riverfront.  

Peterson’s chapter won the silver medal for Chapter of Excellence in Florida. The lead advisor, Adina McCall, won a Region Leader Award for Region Two, along with Principal Jessica Mastromatto, winning the Cornerstone Award. 

Peterson had 23 students who competed and two students doing courtesy corp. Out of all those students, Peterson had 12 who have won medals: 

• Dainelle Wilson (Communication) – Gold in Graphic Imaging Sublimation.
  • Analisa Hill (Cosmetology ) – Gold in Hair Weaving. 
  • Clara Dimunah (Cosmetology )– Gold in Nail Care.
  • Carsyn Howes (Cosmetology )– Silver in Cosmetology. 
  • Axeleslie Guzman, Krisyalie Vale, Tatyana Rodriguez, Nikera Corley (Cosmetology )– Sliver in Cosmetology Bowel. 
  • Zyann Colbert (Cosmetology )– Sliver in Esthetics. 
  • Sara Gary (Communication)– Bronze in Graphic Imaging Sublimation. 
  • Renee Dozier (Cosmetology )– Bronze in Hair Weaving. 
  • Princess Williams (Cosmetology )– Bronze in Nail Care. 

Not only were there a lot of students who had placed from Peterson, but two of the chapter’s students are now in the 2024-2025 SkillsUSA Florida State Officer Team; Axeleslie Guzman and Clara Dimunah. Axelesile, a junior, had given some insight on how she feels about her being a new officer by saying “I am filled with overall joy and excitement for what the 2025 SkillsUSA year will hold, and I am ready to build a legacy helping people, just like how others have helped me.” Clara a sophomore, had shared her opinion as well for being a state officer for next year, saying “I would say I feel really scared but also really excited for what’s to come”

Kamilla, a student who competed in Cosmetology had stated that for her first time competing for SkillsUSA “was challenging and worth the experience you get from it”, and Emily Bartley, a student who had competed in Early Childhood education had said that for her first time “it was a mix of emotions; the competition is stressful but fun.. It’s a really cool experience that others should join in.”