Breaking News
  • January 16Skate Station - Friday, 3/8 - 7:30!
  • December 6Kona Ice 2/16
The Student News Site of Frank H. Peterson Academies

The Talon

The Talon

The Talon

SkillsUSA Recruitment

Have you heard of SkillsUSA? You may have heard people talking about it, or saw students posting about competitions that they were in and the awards that they have won. SkillsUSA is a club that you can join. You can compete in competitions, meet future employers, make lots of new friends and more. SkillsUSA is a partnership between students, teachers, and industry workers, which are working together to ensure that America has a skilled workface. SkillsUSA is a nonprofit national education association. It helps students prepare for careers in trade, technical, and skilled service occupations. SkillsUSA helps empower its members to become world-class workers, leaders, and responsible American citizens.

Our school offers many competitions that you can compete in, either in your academies, or in leadership. Some examples for Communications are television video production, and T-shirt design. Examples for Culinary are culinary arts and restaurant service. Examples of Cosmetology are barbering and nail care. Some examples of the leadership competitions are job interview, prepared speech, promotional bulletin board, community service, and a whole lot more. All academies can compete except for Agrisciences due to having FFA. There are many other competitions than the ones listed.

For those who would like to participate, and not compete, you can go as Courtesy Corps. Courtesy Corps is an elite group of high-school and post-high-school students, as well as advisors and chaperones who are selected to represent their state delegation. These individuals have afforded the opportunity to work with and build a network of industry and educational resources, while gaining skills and leadership qualities, developing friendships, and having fun.

“Why join SkillsUSA?” is a question that you might be asking yourself. When you join SkillsUSA you:

• Grow and develop your personal, workplace and technical skills grounded in academics;
  • Gain access to exclusive scholarship opportunities;
  • Earn recognition through SkillsUSA’s local, state and national career competition programs;
  • Join a community of like-minded peers from diverse backgrounds;
  • Lead and participate in chapter activities;
  • Network with business and industry leaders;
  • Build your resume through professional development opportunities.

The first meeting will be on Thursday, September 7th after school from 3:30p.m. to 4:45p.m. in room D406. The fee to join is $10.

To the right is a QR code where you can get info for the socials and use it to contact an officer.